Tuesday, August 12, 2008

On the Newsstands August 11, 2008

Arts & Entertainment: Art in Automation by Gaynell Parker



Our world has become an amazing modernistic world of automation. Have you ever noticed how many things have become automated? I was amazed the other day when I was at McDonalds and watched as the girl at the window got drinks from a machine that automatically dropped the correct sized cup, filled it and put the lid on for her to hand out with an order -- blew my mind.

I know that automation was began as a blessing to mankind, especially in factories -- but I think the most well known was when the car was invented with the Model T. Automation was what made it an affordable car. -- Read More

Arts & Entertainment/Movies: Brendan Fraser on Fire This Summer by Candace E. Salima


Alvin and I went to see The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor today. Rick O'Connell, Brendan Fraser, just can't seem to leave Mummies alone, and it seems the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Rick and Evie's son, Alex, has uncovered the Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. I guess you can figure out where it went from there. -- Read More

Books: Preparedness Principles by Barbara Salsbury by Alison Palmer

I just cleaned off several books from my reference shelf and replaced them with Preparedness Principles by Barbara Salsbury. I found that Preparedness Principles covers a lot of the same material I’d gone to other books for, but in a more concise manner. Barbara Salsbury has a no nonsense way of saying, “Here’s what you need to know and here’s what you need to do” for a variety of difficult situations we may be faced with. The fun part is, you get to use this reference for little things and big things, plus you don’t really mind picking it up for no good reason at all. It’s interesting bathroom material that makes you say, “huh, I never thought of that before” and happening to “think” about it might be more important than you ever “thought”.

Preparedness Principles stresses assessing your own situation and preparing for those things you are most likely to face, but it also cautions not to feel you are immune to difficulties. Covered topics include food storage, disaster preparedness, financial security, basic survival principles as well as how to do all those everyday things we don’t think about until we can’t do them, like: washing your clothes and finding clean water or a bathroom when there isn’t one. -- Read More

Clothing & More: It Broke Already? by Nichole Giles

I’ve mentioned before that spending a few extra dollars makes a huge difference in the life of a piece of jewelry. Well, I admit, I’m guilty of buying the cheap stuff too. Mostly because I find something unique and can’t pass it up—especially if the price tag is unbelievably low. And usually, I take good enough care with my things that even the low-quality pieces last a while.

Usually.

A few blogs ago, I talked about watches. I can’t remember if I mentioned a watch I bought at the silver shop in Texas that has a band created out of thin strands of metal twisted into the shape of flowers. I loved it for several reasons, one being that I had recently bought a high quality necklace that matched it almost exactly. Except the watch was not real silver, and not nearly the quality of the necklace, which became apparent the day it fell apart on my wrist. -- Read More

Health & Food: Shepherd's Pie by Candace E. Salima

A favorite in my household is my mother's Shepherd's Pie. I've put my own twist on it, but it always gone within minutes of hitting the dinner table. So I got a little curious about where in the world Shepherd's pie, in its many variations, originated:

The English tradition of meat pies dates back to the Middle ages. Game pie, pot pie and mutton pie were popular and served in pastry "coffyns." These pies were cooked for hours in a slow oven, and topped with rich aspic jelly and other sweet spices. The eating of "hote [meat] pies" is mentioned in Piers Plowman, and English poem written in the 14th Century. (Cooking of the British Isles, Adrian Bailey, pages 156-7) The Elizabethans favored minced pies. "A typical Elizabethan recipe ran: Shred your meat (mutton or beef) and suet together fine. Season it with cloves, mace, pepper and some saffron, great raisins and prunes..." (Food and Drink in Britain: From the Stone Age to the 19th Century, C. Anne Wilson, page 273). About mince and mincemeat pies. -- Read More

Health & Food/Dutch Oven: Kids Can Cook, But Will They Want To? by Keith Fisher

At two years old, my daughter seemed fascinated by the little gray rocks under the big black pots everyone made such a fuss about. With determination on her face she reached out to touch, but I stopped her. I gave her the standard warning. "It will burn you," I said.

After a short time my little girl experienced a burn. I don’t remember how she learned, but she understood the word. She seemed to lose interest in those gray rocks.

Then one day while cooking in five pots, I stepped away to get water from my garden hose. Sure enough, you guessed it, she reached under a pot and burned the tip of her finger. She knew would happen, but she just had to learn for herself. Some kids are like that. -- Read More

Home & Family: You'll Be As Happy As You're Willing To Make Others by Muriel Sluyter

I know a man who has indulged in just about every self-destructive act he could think of. He used to be the most miserably unhappy man around. After many years of this dumb-headed lifestyle, he married a good, patient woman who had high standards and lived up to those standards.

As a result of his marriage, he dramatically improved his behavior; unfortunately, though he was less unhappy, he still had a long way to go. After several years, she became pregnant, but he was still an unhappy man, as both a person and a husband. The baby was born, and the man seemed to improve a little more, but he still had a long upward climb, so far as his behavior was concerned. He seemed unable to escape his old friends and his and their old lifestyles, and he seemed, equally, unable to attain any significant degree of happiness. -- Read More

Home & Family/Preparedness: Are you related to Mrs. M. Hubbard by Barbara Salsbury

Do you remember, somewhere in the news recently, there was a rumor – excuse me- story of cupboard neglect, or actually animal neglect? What? It really was about your neighbor Ms. M. Hubbard and her dietary deficient dog? I bet it wasn’t the dog’s fault that he had to go hungry. Have you ever wondered why Ms. M. Hubbard had not taken advantage of the case lot sales on dog food? I’ve talked about the Hubbard family cupboard before. So today I start a campaign in order that history and this sad tale of cupboard neglect won’t repeat itself in your neighborhood.

A rumor recently being discussed on a lot of blogs (or news) is that there are some of you reading who have to go to the store on the way home from “where ever” in order to be able to prepare dinner – at least four times a week. Of course, that’s just a rumor! -- Read More

LDS Outlets/Gardening & Landscaping: Alliums: Garlic's Pretty Cousin by Heather Justesen

Despite the fact that the heat is still running high in most areas, the time for ordering fall bulbs is approaching. I'm always on the lookout for new and different plants for my yard--something that will stand out. I was thrilled to see allium bulbs in the garden catalog last year, remembering these unusual plants.

Allium belongs to the same family as garlic and onions, and has a slightly garlic-y smell to the plant. In fact, this spring I had forgotten that I had planted the bulbs and spent a few days trying to figure out how my chives had seeded themselves to far away from the mother plant before I realized what they were. Allium comes in different colors and shapes, generally in purple or pink colors though there are blue and even orange varieties. The ones I ordered were drumstick alliums (pictures above), which grow about three feet tall, and have a spherical purple flower about an inch and a half around. They go upward in size from there to the Gladiator which has four or five-inch flowers and grows up to five foot tall. -- Read More

LDS Outlets/Humor: Endearing Young Charms by C.L. Beck

The remaining leaves on the trees rustled like dried bones in the wind and the clouds resembled fingers of doom. My husband, Russ, and I ignored the omen and drove to a neighboring town for breakfast. When we walked into the restaurant, we noticed very few patrons. Ahhh, another sign.

We sat in a booth without removing our jackets. “It’s cold in here,” Russ said, blowing on his fingers to stave off frostbite.

I wiggled in my seat. “It feels like I’m sitting on a snow bank in Alaska. In fact, my … um … sitter is so numb, I can’t feel it.” -- Read More

New Neighbors: Climb Every Mountain . . . Or Not by Cheri Crane

So yesterday was the beginning of our annual stake girls' camp adventure. We've been planning for this event for quite some time. As the YW president of our ward, I've had my hands full getting the girls excited, and helping our two new camp directors prepare for this great event.

We all met at the church house yesterday morning at 7:45 a.m. After loading 3 pickup trucks full of camp gear, and cars with 12 girls, we headed for the mountains.

We arrived at Camp Ho-nok about 9:00 a.m. right on schedule. Then the true adventure began, the setting up of the tent(s) scenario. We only had to set up four---one for the priesthood leader, one for the camp directors, one for the food, and one for our girls. The tent we set up for our girls is a huge white canvas cabin tent. -- Read More

Religious: The Gift of the Holy Ghost by Rebecca Talley

The last part of the 4th Article of Faith states our belief in the “laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.”

We believe that men who hold the restored priesthood of God can bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost to baptized members of the LDS Church. The gift of the Holy Ghost is different from the Holy Ghost as a personage of Spirit. The Holy Ghost himself is part of the Godhead and is a distinct personage, but many at the same time can feel his influence. It is similar to the sun. While the sun itself stays in the sky, people in California can feel sunshine at the same time as people in New York. -- Read More

Scrapbooks & Crafts: Color Outside the Lines by Kim Thompson

The neighborhood has changed the block I blog on to Crafts and Scrapbooking. So, in addition to scrapbooking articles you may see some regular crafting ideas from me now and then as well. The topic today--Crayons.

Do you remember getting a new box of crayons each year as a child? This is one of my favorite back-to-school memories. I still love opening a new box of crayons and experiencing their rich colors, perfectly shaped tips, and waxy smell. They hold the promise of creative vistas to be explored.

Services: Erasing the Carbon Footprint by Liz Adair

Last time I blogged about the service offered to hobby farmers by local meatcutters who have mobile slaughter units that travel to the farms and convert the animal on the hoof to rump roasts and hamburger in the freezer.

This is a boon to family economies in rural areas, but this service is offered only to non-commercial ventures. You cannot raise a herd of cattle and have the mobile slaughter unit come in and process meat that you hope to sell to a restaurant or grocery store, because meat sold to the public has to be processed in a facility that is inspected by the U. S. Department of Agriculture, and USDA inspectors don’t travel with small mobile slaughter units. They didn't until now, that is. -- Read More

Sports & Recreation: Experience the Olympics by Rachelle Christensen

The Summer Olympics are officially here! I am so excited to see the Opening Ceremony tonight on TV.

I have always enjoyed watching the Olympics, but now that I have kids, I’m remembering some reasons why I enjoyed cheering on the athletes when I was a kid.

You can make this a great experience for your kids too. For many of us, the Olympics may have been our first introduction to many different kinds of sports. Most kids know about basketball, soccer, and swimming—but what about relay races, high jumping, the pommel horse, the vault, rowing, archery, ….I think you get the point here. There are hundreds of different events during the Olympics. -- Read More

Return to the Neighborhood.

0 comments: